Chestnut Grove Baptist Church
Chestnut Grove is located adjacent to Bethel Methodist Church in Oktibbeha County, MS. It was founded in 1869 as an outgrowth of Bethlehem Baptist Church in southeastern Choctaw County. The first minister at Chestnut Grove Baptist Church was Rev Nominus Quincy Adams, who lost an arm in the Atlanta Campaign in 1864 as a member of the "Oktibbeha Riflemen", Company A of the 27th Mississippi Regiment, CSA. He served as the pastor at Chestnut Grove from 1869 to 1874, and then moved to Wake Forest Baptist Church near the village of Whitefield in Oktibbeha County.
The recorded property deed for Chestnut Grove Church dates from June 13, 1887. On that date Rebecca McHann and J.L. McHann sold for thirty dollars to Green Woodson and O.J. Hollis, "Deacons of Chestnut Grove Baptist Church and their successors in office", three acres of land where the church building stood. The three acres were located in the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 31, Township 17N, Range 12E. This deed is recorded on page 208 of Oktibbeha County Deed Book 50.
The legal description of the land is as follows:
"Beginning at the South West corner of the above described land and running East 30 rods and 12 feet; thence turn North 11 Rods and 5 feet; thence running East 150 yards or 6 chains and 94 links to a stake; thence North 4 chains and 32 links to a stake; thence West 6 chains and 94 links to a stake; thence South 4 chains and 32 links to the place of the beginning."
This three acre tract of land lies on both sides of present day Sharp Road, just south of the intersection with Gurley Road. The old maps on file in the Oktibbeha County Courthouse identify the original name of the road on which Chestnut Grove and Bethel churches were located as New Prospect Road. This was the route from the village of Whitefield to the village of New Prospect in Winston County. The New Prospect Road followed present-day Sharp Road from the Louisville-Houston Road (today Louisville-Sturgis Rd) westward to Chestnut Grove Church, where it turned southwestward along the present-day Gurley Road to enter Winston County and connect with the Webster-New Prospect Road at the Shaw Springs.
Today, the only remaining evidence of the Chestnut Grove community are Bethel Cemetery and Bethel Methodist Church. Bethel Cemetery served as a burial ground for both Bethel Methodist Church and Chestnut Grove.
Excerpted from "Weeks Family Newsletter", Vol 7, No 2, May 1998
This page was last updated on: March 9, 2002